top of page


The Unmarried Partner Visa is available to long-term partners of British or Irish citizens, persons who are settled in the UK, persons with pre-settled status, persons with a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa and persons with refugee status or humanitarian protection who wish to join, or stay with, their unmarried partner in the UK.  You can also apply for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa if your unmarried partner is outside the UK but intends to return to the UK with you.

The UK Unmarried Partner Visa can lead to indefinite leave to remain or settlement in the UK after a period of 5 years.


Unmarried Partner Visa Requirements


In order to qualify for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration meet the following requirements:


·       Your partner is British or Irish, is settled in the UK, has been granted pre-settled status, holds a Turkish Businessperson or Turkish Worker visa or has refugee status or humanitarian protection;

·       You and your partner are both over the age of 18;

·       You and your partner have met in person;

·       You and your partner have been in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years;

·       Your relationship is genuine and subsisting;

·       You and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;

·       Any previous relationship has broken down permanently;

·       You satisfy a financial requirement;

·       There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;

·       You speak and understand English to the required level.

·       The exact requirements you will need to satisfy in order to qualify for an Unmarried Partner Visa may vary depending on your circumstances.  You may want to speak to an immigration lawyer for expert advice


Unmarried partner route to settlement


When you first enter the Unmarried Partner Visa category, you will be granted a period of two and a half years (plus an additional three months if you are applying for Entry Clearance). You will then have to make an extension application before the expiry of this leave and will be granted a further two and a half years.


The majority of people in the Unmarried Partner Visa category are on a five-year route to settlement. This means that after two grants of 30 months, they are eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Some people are on a ten-year route to settlement, and they will need to have four leave grants.

Once you have obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, you can immediately apply for Naturalise as a British citizen if you are married to a British national. If you are not married to a British national, you will need to wait for a period of 12 months before you can apply.


What if My Unmarried Partner's Visa Application Is Refused?


If your application for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa is refused, you should have a right of appeal. This is because an unmarried partner application is a human rights claim.

The appeal will be heard at the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) in the UK.


Why choose Visas 24/7 to represent your Unmarried Partner Visa Application?


With over 23 years’ experience our Lawyers incorporate advising on all required documentation to support your application, followed by meticulously collating, preparing, and submitting a comprehensive application package on your behalf. We respond to any enquiries the Home Office may have and keep the client updated throughout.

bottom of page