top of page


The Student route encompasses a points-based visa system tailored for international students, encompassing EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals desiring to pursue studies in the UK. The category 'Student' includes both 'Tier 4 (General)' and 'Child student,' which provides for 'Tier 4 (Child)'.

Student visas are exclusively available for specific courses. Upon eligibility, your education provider (Student sponsor) will furnish you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which serves as the cornerstone for your Student visa application. The CAS will contain comprehensive details regarding your course.


Can I apply for a Student visa outside of the UK?

The Student route is designed for international students, including EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals, who seek immigration permission to study in the UK.

To apply for a Student visa, you must be 16 or older and wish to pursue an eligible course at a UK educational institution. This application process, known as 'entry clearance,' is conducted outside the UK.

Before applying for entry clearance as a student, you must secure acceptance to your chosen course through a UK educational provider. Upon acceptance, you'll receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which is a digital document specific to your course and institution, essential for your visa application.


Key Definitions:

Student Sponsor: An education provider (e.g., university or college) authorised to sponsor international students in the UK.

Entry Clearance: Applying for a visa from outside the UK for entry into the country.

Immigration Permission: Holding a visa for the UK with specific conditions.


How to Apply for a Student Visa:

  •  Choose an institution and course, apply for admission, and receive an unconditional offer.

  • Apply for ATAS clearance (if applicable), which can take 8-10 weeks.

  • Request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your institution and ensure all details are correct.

  • Check the visa process and processing times for your country.

  • Book and undergo a tuberculosis test (if applicable).

  •  Ensure you meet all Student visa requirements.

  •  Prepare and upload supporting documents:

  • Valid passport

  • Evidence of meeting financial requirements (if applicable)

  • Qualification evidence listed on your CAS (if applicable)

  • Proof of meeting English language requirements or exemption (if applicable)

  • Valid tuberculosis test certificate (if applicable)

  • Parent/legal guardian's consent and proof of relationship (if under 18)

  • Receipts for accommodation or tuition fees (if not on CAS)

  • Translations for documents not in English or Welsh

  • Complete the online application form, pay the immigration health surcharge and application fee, and book your biometrics appointment.


Once you've secured acceptance to your chosen course at a UK educational institution and received your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), you're ready to begin your Student route application.

Many Student sponsors provide resources and support for the application process, including online guidance, workshops, and individual advice sessions. If you encounter challenges with the online form, your Student sponsor can assist you.

If your selected course or educational provider changes, obtaining a new CAS is typically necessary, as CASs cannot be transferred or reused in multiple visa applications. For further clarification on this matter, contact your education provider.


Why choose Visas 24/7 to represent your Student visa?


Benefit from over 23 years of expertise as our lawyers specialise in navigating the complexities of visa applications. We compile and prepare all required documentation, ensuring a thorough application package. Our team proactively addresses any inquiries from the Home Office and offers ongoing updates to our clients throughout the process.

bottom of page